LAST UPDATED: June 10, 2020, 09:55 a.m. EDT: Secure Social media messaging app “Signal” will let you transfer your chat history to a new iPhone. With a new 3.9.1 version update, Signal will let you do this. This update was rolled out last week But “Signal” made a blog post yesterday telling everything about the new update. The company’s focus was on educating users about, how useful this update is and how to process this task.
“This is the first time that upgrading to a new device without losing any information has been possible on iOS,” according to Signal.
In a view to providing more convenience and security, Signal rolled out this update. Talking about this new feature, Signal is offering a QR code which will help you to transfer your chat history to a new iPhone.
1. How to Transfer Signal Chat history to a new iPhone?
To transfer your signal chat history to a new iPhone, follow the process as described below:
- You need to have two iPhones in order to follow this process. Old iPhone will be used to transfer all the chat history to a new iPhone.
- Install signal to your new iPhone.
- Generate QR code with your old iPhone.
- Scan the QR code with a new iPhone.
- The signal app will automatically start the transferring process.
- Once the process completes, you should be left with a more or less identical app on the new device.
Signal has gone one step ahead of Whatsapp and iMessage. Till now, Whatsapp, as well as other social media chat apps, don’t transfer your chat locally. But in signal’s new update, they introduced this feature. All the transfer processes will be done with your iPhone’s Wi-Fi so there is no third-party engagement.
All the Secure messaging apps like “Signal” store conversations only on local devices But it also increases the risk of compelled decryption. This has created a long-standing problem of how to transfer logs between devices without potentially exposing all the conversations.
Right now, no transfer is 100% safe. WhatsApp transfers the old backup to Google Drive or iCloud. But these backups currently aren’t protected by its end-to-end encryption feature. Social messaging app iMessage also follows the same process of transferring via third party engagement.
It transfers your chat to Apple iCloud server. Apple currently holds all the right over the backup shared with their platform. This is a potential threat to security because apple can easily provide decrypted backups to law enforcement authorities if they ask.
Signal’s new iOS transfer feature offers better security by transferring via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. The new no third party engagement features have made the Signal app more secure and trusted. Android users have not got this update yet. Still, they can transfer all the chat history to a new phone just by taking a local backup in any pen drive or hard disk and transfer it to a new phone.
How to Transfer Signal chat history to a new Android Phone
Even when there is no update done to signal’s android version, Users still can easily transfer their backup to a new Phone.
Follow the process as described below to transfer Signal chat history to a new Android Phone.
- Go to the internal storage of the android phone.
- Navigate the Signal folder.
- Connect your android phone to the computer with a data cable.
- Copy the signal folder to the PC.
- Get your new android phone.
- Connect it to PC with data cable, after removing the old phone.
- Move the last copied folder (Signal) from PC to the new android phone’s internal storage.
- Download the single app from the play store.
- Open the app and fill all the necessary information. Signal will automatically find the latest backup from of internal storage. Done!
Transferring the old signal chat history to the new iPhone is made easy By Signal. Last month, Signal launched PINs — which allowed you to encrypt knowledge like profile info, account settings, and who you’ve blocked. This update was also seen as big.